How PR and SEO Can Collaborate
PR and SEO go well together. PR has the good content and outreach that are essential in SEO, so these two otherwise separate marketing components can complement each other’s efforts to achieve the same goal. In what ways can they do this?
· Sharing specialized knowledge – The SEO folks know useful details that the PR professionals are not privy to, and vice versa. In working together, the two parties can educate each other on the hows and the whys of the favors they ask of each other. For instance, the PR people can teach those in SEO about media outreach. Meanwhile, the SEO specialists can teach those who do PR about the impact of online earned media on search engine rankings.
· Optimizing links – The SEO team should help the PR team optimize links in earned media coverage. This means using keywords and URLs that need a ranking boost. They have the technical know-how regarding what the search engines like, what they’ll penalize, and what the company actually needs.
· Managing influencer outreach – The SEO team has to coordinate with the PR team in terms of media outreach. There shouldn’t be any confusion regarding which team and which team rep should be contacting which media entity. For instance, the SEO team can deal with the bloggers and niche authorities while the PR team can be in touch with the mass media outlets.
· Conveying the same message – In a manner of speaking, it’s all about keeping their stories straight. With so many people serving as sources to the media and the public, all that they put out there have to agree with each other. Sending mixed messages can prove to be very detrimental. It’s not just about telling the same story. It’s also about being on the same subject. For example, it’s counterproductive to be promoting two different things at the same time.
· Optimizing content – Creating content is no joke, so it’s most efficient to get existing content and revise it to cater to different audiences. For instance, an infographic can be turned into a series of articles and blog posts. The PR team, on its part, can pitch the original infographic to various media sources.
At the end of the day, these collaborative efforts between PR and SEO bring in better results, deliver a stronger impact, as well as render each team individually more effective at the same time. Coordination is absolutely paramount and communication is obviously key.